Friday, January 9, 2009

If I played guitar I'd be....



Jimmy Page. That is a line from The Beastie Boys tune The New Style.
I play guitar and I am partial to Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Vernon Reid, Keith Richards and David Fiuczynski.

I think, though, Jimmy Page is the greatest guitar riff composer of all-time. His riffs exuded power, confidence, whimsical play and a complexity one does not truly understand until the riffs are studied. Chuck Berry, Keith Richards and Pete Townsend are great, but Page is the most prolific. Do believe me? Go to guitar center and listen to how many guitarists mess up, The Ocean, Stairway to Heaven, Misty Mountain Hop, Living Loving Maid, Over the Hills and Far Away, Black Dog...
The rhythm of his riffs fueled early Hip Hop tracks like She's Crafty by the Beastie Boys.

Happy Birthday Jimmy Page.

Followers