Friday, September 26, 2008

So This is How Chase Is Going to Pay for WaMu...

I understand Chase is buying Washington Mutual. Chase is my bank and I chose Chase based on their management and asset mix. In other words, I thought they were a good bet not to get caught up in this mess. They didn't sign people with terrible credit for terrible mortgages and they didn't go nuts on the financial products based on those terrible mortgages. All in all, I feel pretty good that my bank is still standing.


As I checked my account balance online I notice a check I wrote for $70.00 was cashed for $75.00. I got the image of the check I clearly wrote $70.00 in the number box and spelled it out. I went to my local Chase branch and they credited me my $5.00. But I have to wonder...

Is this a coincidence this happened? Is this how they raised the funds to by WaMu? Perhaps they processed millions and millions of checks all over the world, charging an extra $5.00. Would anyone notice? It's like the scheme in Office Space with all the extra cents.

Hmmm....

Followers