Sunday, February 8, 2009

Inside the Mind of a Musician.

Last night I saw Shawn Colvin in concert with my wife and some friends. She played a solo gig and she was wonderful. As I was listening to her, I couldn't help but think about the 40th Grammy's in 1998 when she was interrupted by 'Ol Dirty Bastard. Tonight the 51st Grammy's will be televised and it always makes me feel strange. I have been playing music since I was 7 years old. The first college I attended was Berklee College of Music. I lived was a working musician for 8 years in New York City. When I moved to Austin in 2000, I played with a number of people in this scene. I have to admit, I always thought one of the projects I was involve with (or my own stuff) would have a chance to be widely known. I realize that those ideas might have been grand illusions, but I really believe my talent and the talent of my friends. I still believe. After a 6 year hiatus from regularly with a group of musicians, today I am meeting with some guys to get it started all over again. Music and the industry has always been inside me and it is all I ever really wanted to do. I have kept diaries of past tours and recording sessions. I have backtracking tapes of a radio show I did on WBAI in New York. I have hundreds of great pictures.

The main point of this mind ramble is I want to do a complete music blog that really gets inside what it means to be a musician that had some success and still believes in his talent. I have never really read any blog about the insights of being a professional musician. The trials, the glory and the PITA (Pain in the Ass) moments. What is it like rehearsing a tune? Arranging, writing, gigging, buying equipment, recording sessions, personality traits of bass players, guitar players, vocalists? Being a black musician that loves rock music when the commercial public and even organizations (BRC) don't how to market that? The irony that major black rock artist didn't and still can't get together as one coalition? The economics in all of industries of music and entertainment that are creating major issues with content and ownership (how really this started in the early 1990's)? All of this and more. I want to make this blog a total unique experience that musicians and lay people can get into. I have been wanting to do this for years, I just have to plan how to include audio and video and date segments. Should I do this with this blog? Should I do it with another blog? A separate website? I'm not sure how to make it work, but this is what is inside of this musician.

Followers