Friday, January 15, 2010

Prepping the P-Bass

I dropped of my 2008 Precision Bass at The Bass Emporium on Wednesday. My man Chuck is a great resource for me. I originally was going set the bass up like James Jamerson's '62 Precision Bass with flat wound strings. Chuck moved me from that idea because slapping on flatwounds sounds dead and I always love the occasional slap & pop to accent lines. Even on the deep, soul, phat lines I love to carveI will throw in a nice rhythmic slap. He recommended I put on Thomastik-Infeld Infeld Superalloy 45-105. They're long lasting and the winding gives the strings the flexibility I'm acostume to with my DR Hi-Beam strings on my '78 Jazz. For the time being, I'm just going to have the set-up and keep the original pick-ups. I was never the type of player that got super into gear. I tend to rely on reviews, what players I like use and knowledgeable people like Chuck.


Followers