Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Aftermath in 4 Parts: Part 2

Tonight is the Soul Track Mind gig. It's cold & raining-only music can get me to leave the crib tonight. Only 2 more gigs before my obligation is done. I know they're having a had time replacing me, which I must say, makes me kinda happy. Actually, going on my listening and music buying spree kinda gives me a STM rash. Plus, a bunch of acts are putting out new albums (The Soldier Thread, Spoon, Vampire Weekend, etc...). American Idol is back on the air. The album that we were planning was going to be very good. I had a feeling it was going to be special.

Another thing that drives musicians is a friendly (and sometimes not so friendly) competition. We all want to rock, kick ass on stage. We all want to upstage the band opening for us or coming on after us. We all want our album to change the world. Any musician who doesn't feel that should play in their room. Beatles vs. Stones vs. The Beach Boys, Stax vs Motown, Miles vs. Everybody, Tupac vs. Biggie, Soul Track Mind vs. T-Bird & the Breaks vs. Akina Adderley & the Vintage Playboys vs. Bruce James Soultet, etc. Truth is all us musicians love being part of the scene-New Orleans in the early 20th Century, Chicago in the '20s, Kansas City in the '30s, New York City ( jazz-'30s to '60s, punk/CBGBs-'70s, hip hop-'80s & '90s, Brooklyn '00s...), England, San Francisco and L.A. in the '60s and Austin, Seattle in the '90s. A hell of a lot of culture changing music came from those scenes (and thousands more). We all want to be part of it, get a taste of it and add some flavor to it.

Damn it's 9PM. Time for me to add some of my spice tonight on bass.

Followers