Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On the Scene: Perez Hilton-Pics

These are pictures from a few acts at Perez Hilton's party in Austin on Saturday March 21. The show moved at good pace and the room sounded good. Here is my review of what I saw.

Magaret Cho: I don't get her. I think her humor is just vulgar without any depth or relevance to anything meaningful. She is like Sarah Silverman, a potty mouth lady that thinks talking about sex in graphic terms is humor.

Indigo Girls: Quite a surprise. They were good.

Ladyhawke: I know she was getting a lot of buzz this year and her performance proved the buzz might be understated. She was great.

Thunderheist: They were ok. She was trying. I always feel it is hard for a DJ based group to follow full band becuase of the sonic differences. A good full band beats a DJ everyday.

Natalie Portman's Shaved Head: Overrated. I read about this band in an article about the origin of band names. I knew from reading the article this band care more about the band name than the craft of creating great songs or becoming good performers. They are young so hopefully they will get better.

Solange: Great. This woman has got the moves, the show, the tunes and the attitude. She has the charisma her sister lacks.


Margaret Cho:



Indigo Girls:





Ladyhawke:











Thunderheist:






Natalie Portman's Shaved Head:







Solange:




Followers